The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index The Bicycle Club of Irvine
Welcome to BCI's Forum. If you'd like to join the forum, please send an e-mail to info@bikeirvine.org. password help

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christian Rhineer - Feb 14 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Crashes we can learn from!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCI
Bike Club Info

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Christian Rhineer - Feb 14 2012 Reply with quote

see BikinginLA
http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/breaking-news-cyclist-killed-in-irvine-collision/

According to the Orange County Register,
http://ocregister.com/news/bicyclist-340267-authorities-crash.html Christian Rhineer of Irvine was hit by a Volvo Sedan at the intersection of Von Karman Avenue and Michelson Drive just before 8 am. He was taken to Western Medical Center with severe injuries, where he died at 6:30 pm.

The 26-year old driver remained at the scene. It was unclear who had the right of way; no one was arrested or cited at the scene.

And yes, the Register notes that the victim was not believed to be wearing a helmet; whether it would have done any good under the circumstances is not clear. Hopefully, we’ll get more details later.

This is the sixth traffic-related cycling fatality so far this year, and the second in Orange County;

Quote:
Anonymous Witness says:
February 16, 2012 at 8:51 am
Unfortunately, I bore first hand witness to this tragic accident on my ride to work. I was stopped at the light on Von Karman waiting to make a left turn on Michelson. There was a sedan in front of me, but being in an SUV, I had a clear view of the cyclist.

The cyclist began to cross Von Karman from the Southeast to the Northwest in what appeared to be an attempt to beat the light. He was pedaling quickly and as noted already, he was wearing headphones. He was not wearing a helmet, something I noted since my mother forbade me to ride my bike as a child without a helmet.

The signal to allow traffic to turn left from Von Karman to Michelson and also to go straight on Von Karman across Michelson changed from red to green as the cyclist approached the turning lane for oncoming traffic. Because the cars in the turning lane were already stopped (there were two of us), we saw the cyclist and yielded to him. As he passed in front of our row of cars, the driver who evenutally struck him was approaching the green light on Von Karman, traveling at what I assume to be the speed limit, as the light was green. He was unable to see the cyclist, since the bicylce was directly in front of our row of cars as the driver approached. The cyclist entered to cross the lane for traffic traveling straight across Michelson at the same moment the driver was approaching and entering the intersection.

It was clear that the driver never saw the cyclist as he never touched his brakes prior to the accident.
Sluggo
Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Tell anyone you see doing this as a habit... Reply with quote

-Headphones in both ears
-Rolling a red light
-No Helmet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Crashes we can learn from! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: