The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index The Bicycle Club of Irvine
Welcome to BCI's Forum. If you'd like to join the forum, please send an e-mail to info@bikeirvine.org. password help

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHO WANTS TO GO CAMPING?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Other Rides of Interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: WHO WANTS TO GO CAMPING? Reply with quote

Several people have asked me about another camping trip. Those who attended the last one, in Solvang, had a great time. I want to pick a weekend in September, after Labor Day, when it is easy to get into campgrounds.

We have a couple of options.

First would be to camp at EL Capitan and do two rides. One day south to Santa Barbara and the next day north to Goleta. Each ride would be about 50 miles of mostly flat to rolly terrain. As I did before, I will contact a local, Santa Barbara, bike club for help with routes.

The second option, if suitable routes for the first option can't be found, would be to go back to Solvang where I already have a couple of nice routes.

Of course, I am open to suggestions if anyone has ideas or knows of nice ride routes or campgrounds that we can use.

As of now this will not be an official club event . However, if enough people voice interest in participating we may be able to get the board to reconsider. Of course, without the club's official seal we forgo any insurance issues and keep the individaul expenses down.

Campsites are usually about $20 per night and allow 2 cars per site. So, if its 2 people per car, 2 cars per site, the cost can be as little as $5 per person, per night. Other than food, the biggest expense for the trip will be the gas to drive there and back.

As before we will keep this a laid back, low key event and, depending on the response, will do pot luck meals or pool a few dollars and go shopping at a local market for meals. Suggestions here are also appreciated.

Please respond with your interest and suggestions so we can pick a weekend and make our plans.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you all soon.

Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: UPDATE ON CAMPING TRIP Reply with quote

I've been in touch with Doris Phinney. She runs a club in Goleta. She suggests that we camp at Carpenteria as it affords more ride options. Plus, its south of SB thus saving a few gallons of gas. We can ride south to Ventura and Ojai one day and then north to SB and Goleta the other day. Doris is going to supply detailed ride info .

So far 4 people have signed up. Let me know if you want to join us. I'll bring a sign up sheet to the park for those who don't check the Forum.

Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Tentative date for Camping Trip Reply with quote

OK, I have chosen a tentative date for the camping trip. After looking at a calendar my first choice is Sept 12/13. After Labor Day and before the Jewish holidays. Of course, this is provided we can get a campsite. Otherwise we will have to either wait until October or change the location to Solvang.

I really need commitments so I can make reservations as soon as possible.

Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: another update Reply with quote

I called ReserveAmerica to check on available dates. The first date for Carpenteria is October 16/17. There is nothing at El Capitan until November and Emma Woods is primitive camping which means no showers, no toilets, NO WAY!

If we don't act FAST for Carpenteria we won't be able to do a coastal trip this year. If you are thinking about coming, I need to hear from you NOW! I want to make a decision and reservation by next Monday and hope that Carpenteria is still available. Otherwise we'll keep the September 12th weekend and change the destination back to Solvang where ride routes and camping are not an issue.

Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Sept 12, Solvang Reply with quote

OK, Since its so hard to get into the coastal campgrounds without resevring 6-7 months in advance, I have decided to go back to Solvang. After Labor Day, its easy to get into Lake Cachuma campground. I want to get this ride in before the Jewish holidays so it will be the weekend of September 12/13. This is a great alternative to the Amtrak(same weekend) for those who could not get a ticket. We will do the Happy Canyon loop on Saturday and then the shorter, but hillier, Ballard Canyon on Sunday. Last year we had perfect weather, beautiful scenery, good food, a nice campfire and a great time by all. For those who don't want to tent it, the campground has cabins available. After this trip, for those who express interest, I'll make a reservation for a spring coastal camp out.

Please let me know if you want to join us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Other Rides of Interest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: