The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index The Bicycle Club of Irvine
Welcome to BCI's Forum. If you'd like to join the forum, please send an e-mail to info@bikeirvine.org. password help

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sept 12-14, '08 ~ Solvang Camping Trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Other Rides of Interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Solvang Camping Trip this weekend and maybe again the 26th Reply with quote

We are still going this weekend, the 12th. Eddie Walsh and I are going and we'd love to have others join us. We will be at Lake Cachuma Campground on Friday so just show up and call me at 562-881-3614.

Many of you, who signed up, have dropped out. Some have suggested that the weekend on the 26th would be better. As I said, Eddie and I are still going this weekend. But, if enough commit to going the 26th, I will go again. The Saturday ride is 42-45 miles through one of the prettiest areas you will find. Sunday I have another 38 mile ride planned. These rides, although on the hilly side, are geard to the average rider.

Please drop me a line at wheelman54@msn.com or call me at 562-881-3614

Mike Brooks
BCI# 3207

Last edited by on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Ride Report Reply with quote

I'm sorry that more people couldn't make this trip . You missed a nice ride.

We did a short, warm-up ride on Friday just down the Hwy and back. There is one long 6% climb to a nice downhill recovery right at the end of the ride. The almost 50 mile route from the campground to Solvang and through Ballard Canyon we rode on Saturday was challenging and beautiful. Lots of vineyards and farms and hills.

We spent Sunday scouting out another route. We found a longer, but a little easier route (only 2 short, moderate hills) through a great area with very little traffic. As I have it in mind, it would be about 60 miles for the day.

Several members have expressed interest in the weekend of Sept. 26th. If enough people will commit, I would go again. I want to ride this new route and it would be a lot of fun with a group. So, let me know if you want to go. Please email me at wheelman54@msn.com.
Eddie Walsh
Newbie (But HAS Posted something!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ride Mike and I were able to get in over the weekend up in and around the Solvang area was truly fantastic. This trip marked the first time I have ever ridden my road bike outside of the concrete jungle and now Iím hooked. I want to participate in many more such events. Besides riding through the quaint tourist town of Solvang, the country side was breathtaking. I canít recall how many farms, meadows and vineyards we rode by on the various side roads we traveled. The ride overall was fairly easy but it was also challenging, in addition to tackling some rather small hills there were some rather steep (6%-7%) switchbacks thrown in to test what youíre made of. Iím really just a beginner, but I must say I was quite pleased as I although a bit tired from pulling all those hills, I was able to ride them all without ever having to walk my bike up a single steep incline.

I agree with Mike, the route we drove together on Sunday morning looks to be much more picturesque, a little longer ride but much less hilly. So if you want to get away from it all for a couple of days, and become messed with nature as you ride your road bike I highly recommend the trip. Oh and the camping at Lake Cachuma was very peaceful and relaxing. My tent actually looked like my home away from home on Saturday evening after our ride. BTW, if you donít already have an air mattress, get one, I didnít have one and how I wished I didÖ

Eddie Road Bike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Other Rides of Interest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: