The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index The Bicycle Club of Irvine
Welcome to BCI's Forum. If you'd like to join the forum, please send an e-mail to info@bikeirvine.org. password help

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mikki Anderson / Andre Marais Sept 13th Crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Crashes we can learn from!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Sellin
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Mikki Anderson / Andre Marais Sept 13th Crash Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for writing. Yes, there was a mishap yesterday (9/13) riding on Laguna Canyon road. I was riding with a very nice new rider (well used to ride years ago) from South Africa. ...he pulled off to (I thought to drop back as the speed might have been a little much for him) and then he must've gotten spooked or something and moved quickly right into me. I hope he is okay...I was taken to Saddleback; think he went to Mission. Someone said they think he broke his hip; I hope not.

I thought I had broken my shoulder since my body LOUDLY told me not to move it or my arm but after getting everything x-rayed, I have no bones broken. Muscles torn perhaps, but am grateful for no shattered bones. My left arm is in a sling and I am so sore I can't sit, lay or stand but for minutes at a time. UGH. But I will heal. Am actually taking drugs for the pain, even though I am a pretty natural gal. Sometimes you just need the big guns.

Thanks for writing.
Warm Regards,
Mikki

I spoke to Andre'a wife Ashley today (9/17) See below...
BCI
Bike Club Info

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Saturday Long Ride accident Update Reply with quote

Many members have been asking & concerned, so here is an update on the September 13th crash:
On the Long Ride Saturday, Andre Marais and Mikki Anderson collided on Laguna Canyon.

They were heading down hill at a good speed, when Andre moved left out of the shoulder & back right into Mikki, who saw Andre pull off & was surprised when he was back next to her & they collided.

They both took a tumble, and were transported by ambulances to hospitals.

Andre is home resting on medications for a severe concussion. Head laceration did not require stitches, but his wife Ashley is sure the helmet saved his life. He has no recollection of the incident, and may have been having trouble before the collision so anyone who saw him riding erratically before the crash is encouraged to give details to Ashley. He is beat up and bruised, but the hip injury was not severe. Mikki also got lucky; fearing a broken shoulder at the scene, she has no broken bones but is also pretty badly bruised up. Breathing and lower back are painful.

Andre opted out of the BCI roster so he may have been harder to find, but Mikki is listed.

Well wishes, and especially any info for Ashley & Andre if he may have had any lapse of consciousness before the crash, would be very welcome!

Mikki Anderson mnm92191@earthlink.net
Andre Marais agmarais@cox.net
Ashley Marais acmarais@cox.net

Here is an email I got from Mikki:
Quote:

Subject: Feeling cared for
Date: Sep 15, 2008 4:50 PM

Bill,
I wanted to tell you how wonderful our "BCI Family" is. So many members
have written me; truly does uplift my spirits when my body is whining...

I am so glad I decided to reach outside my box and show up alone a few
years ago to experience the club. I didn't realize how much of a family it
would become to me.

Warm Regards,
Mikki Anderson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Crashes we can learn from! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: