The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index The Bicycle Club of Irvine
Welcome to BCI's Forum. If you'd like to join the forum, please send an e-mail to info@bikeirvine.org. password help

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

People how come we just don't get it????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> News & General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pam Matsufuji
Medium Rider (>25 Posts! )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: People how come we just don't get it???? Reply with quote

Over the last few years I find myself riding less and less with BCI. I like many of the people and I like the concept of meeting and doing a ride and socializing together but more and more I end up angry and breaking away from the group because of all the foolishness I witness.

Just this Saturday, I followed the large blue group out of the parking area. I watch as not 1, or 2 but 3 cars had to wait while the entire group blew through the first (but not the last) stop sign. I already knew that as I approached Culver, alot of the riders would be stopped blocking the right turn lane. People take the through traffic lane and let the right turn cars go through. How come this is so hard to figure out???

At Harvard, I witnessed a large group cross over 3 lanes to the left turn lane in front of 2 cars. The cars had to break to avoid hitting cyclists. The cyclists never even looked back. I finally yelled out and some did finally look and let the cars go by. At the light I yelled "stopping!" and I guess I shamed a number of riders into stopping at the light instead of blowing through like some of the other riders did. I have no idea why it would have been a big deal to blow through as we caught up with a big group at the next light.

People what is going to take? Someone getting killed? How hard is to be polite to motorist, signal your intentions and obey stop lights and signals??? Hard I guess cause someone has to say something time and time again! More and more I rather do my own rides or mountain bike. I just don't want to be the one that witnesses someone getting killed due to their own stupidity!!!!

Just once I would like to see the group stop at that first stop sign and let the cars go by first.
lvb88
Long Rider (>35 Posts!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam,

If I reply 10 months after your post and nobody reads it does it make an impact? Wink

You are absolutely right about the poor etiquette/safety habbits show by many of the BCI riders. I don't condone it, but what can you do? This club caters to the social rider, many of whom don't seem to understand that even social riding carries serious responsibilities. And although many blue riders are guilty of this, the problem exists throughout the club. I've seen it on yellow rides as well.

Call out, point out, and ride as safe as you can. That's all you can do.
Bill Sellin
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Welcome Back John! Reply with quote

I am heartened to see you still check in on this very quiet space!
I saw two guys riding down Irvine Center with out even a blinker, wearing black - at 8pm last night - they just do not understand!
See you Saturday; Maybe come on out & help me preach to the newbies at 8?
Bill

Most of the world is either downhill or flat...
Diane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Bad Mannered Bicyclists Reply with quote

I read your letter with interest as I am a brand new rider with this club. I also belong to Orange County Wheelman and can say, that while MOST of the male species are way to competitive, I have had many enjoyable rides. Having said that, there is always going to be the jerks who just want to have automobile drivers hate bicyclists. It's unfortunate. But, I have never seen a whole group be discourteous - that's a first.

I hope many people from BCI read this and get a clue because Orange County appears to be very "bicycle friendly". I live out in Corona and our roads and bike trails leave A LOT to be desired. People in the O.C. should show some more appreciation and, as the bumper sticker says, "SHARE THE ROAD", which includes having manners.
Sluggo
Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Saturday Blue Riders incite Road Rage Reply with quote

Last Saturday the Blue Ride went left on Yale from Deerwood.

Not content to move let the signal thin the pack, or to move as line up the class 2 bike lane, they spread out across the entire NB Yale roadway.

Of course the 2 NB lanes of cars were witnesses to those who rolled through the red light as the signal changed, then bunched up & snarled traffic going up the bridge.

One SUV (White Jeep?) made his frustration clear to everyone in the pack by passing close & honking as he overtook the peloton, which had blown through both of the stop signs on Yale (yes, there were cross traffic vehicles not getting their turn). At Walnut the red light must have been reinforced by cross traffic, so the white Jeep & all of the bunched up "lead" riders exchanged words & a few riders even went right out near the motorist to educate him about sharing the road...

Of course he should have celebrated our fun, and given us all a thumbs up and smiles as we paraded up Yale, saving fuel for him and leaving a smaller carbon footprint on the world his children will inherit… he should have pulled over at JAX & bought a bike & joined us for coffee!
RIGHT….

Road Rage Kills.
Never ENGAGE with a person already pissed off - and PLEASE think about & avoid pissing any one off!

Irvine has a CITY law against riding more than 2 abreast in a Class 2 bike lane... created because of exactly this type of riding group pissing off the motorists.
California says slower vehicles, and bikes in particular should ride as far to the right as possible, and not obstruct traffic…
Cyclist who act like they are on a closed road course in a race are not only violating the law, they are making all bicyclists look like "Arrogant Bastards" - to quote one of the lead group's appropriate jersey...

BCI's riders need skill development - many fast riders drive their bikes like pre-teens in a shopping center parking lot; have no road etiquette, pass on the right, refuse to use rules of the road, act like their helmets make them immortal...

BCI is a recreational social club.
If you want to race - PLEASE join a racing club (that by the way will drop your ass if you don't watch your line, ride properly and represent their team well...)
If BCI wants to keep a reputation of a "share the road", club welcoming motorists to join the fun of cycling, we may need to start dropping some members & 'cling-ons' who are arrogantly pissing off those same motorists we want to recruit...

What a great start to Bike Commute Week 'eh?

Keep your eyes peeled for one more pissed off Jeep driver in Irvine who hates us ALL… We can thank BCI for confirming his poor opinion of us ALL. I am sure when he gets one of us alone…
BCI
Bike Club Info

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Check out the EC info Reply with quote

Check out the EC info on riding to the right...

see http://bikeirvine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2402#2402
BCI
Bike Club Info

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Message sent by Orange County Wheelmen E-Mail System
Quote:

Date: 05/14/08 13:48:54
Subject: Irvine Police

Dear rider,

We have it on good authority that the Irvine Police Dept. has added extra patrols, in teams, to try and catch bicycle riders that are running red lights and stop signs. So be sure to stop at all.

lvb88
Long Rider (>35 Posts!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Saturday Blue Riders incite Road Rage Reply with quote

Sluggo, no argument on what you witnessed, but if you think it is only a BCI problem you're being disingenuous. Some of those racing clubs you mention who do know riding etiquette are some of the worst offenders when it comes to blowing through stops and lights. Additionally, there are people who do not belong to any club who give all cyclists a bad name.

The idea that all cycling problems emanate from the BCI blue group is very misguided perception that seems to keep getting repeated. If you want to start kicking people out of the club for not riding properly you won't have a club left. Most of the yellow riders will be gone too. I've ridden with both groups plenty of time. I'm much more fearful being surrounded by yellow riders than blue riders. Just riding faster does not make you a less safe rider.

I'm all for safety and doing the right things on the road but I do get tired of blame being layed in one direction only. This club has a lot of good people of all riding levels. We all need to take the responsibility of riding safely more seriously. We all need to work together on this.

Sluggo wrote:
Last Saturday the Blue Ride went left on Yale from Deerwood.

Not content to move let the signal thin the pack, or to move as line up the class 2 bike lane, they spread out across the entire NB Yale roadway.

Of course the 2 NB lanes of cars were witnesses to those who rolled through the red light as the signal changed, then bunched up & snarled traffic going up the bridge.

One SUV (White Jeep?) made his frustration clear to everyone in the pack by passing close & honking as he overtook the peloton, which had blown through both of the stop signs on Yale (yes, there were cross traffic vehicles not getting their turn). At Walnut the red light must have been reinforced by cross traffic, so the white Jeep & all of the bunched up "lead" riders exchanged words & a few riders even went right out near the motorist to educate him about sharing the road...

Of course he should have celebrated our fun, and given us all a thumbs up and smiles as we paraded up Yale, saving fuel for him and leaving a smaller carbon footprint on the world his children will inherit… he should have pulled over at JAX & bought a bike & joined us for coffee!
RIGHT….

Road Rage Kills.
Never ENGAGE with a person already pissed off - and PLEASE think about & avoid pissing any one off!

Irvine has a CITY law against riding more than 2 abreast in a Class 2 bike lane... created because of exactly this type of riding group pissing off the motorists.
California says slower vehicles, and bikes in particular should ride as far to the right as possible, and not obstruct traffic…
Cyclist who act like they are on a closed road course in a race are not only violating the law, they are making all bicyclists look like "Arrogant Bastards" - to quote one of the lead group's appropriate jersey...

BCI's riders need skill development - many fast riders drive their bikes like pre-teens in a shopping center parking lot; have no road etiquette, pass on the right, refuse to use rules of the road, act like their helmets make them immortal...

BCI is a recreational social club.
If you want to race - PLEASE join a racing club (that by the way will drop your ass if you don't watch your line, ride properly and represent their team well...)
If BCI wants to keep a reputation of a "share the road", club welcoming motorists to join the fun of cycling, we may need to start dropping some members & 'cling-ons' who are arrogantly pissing off those same motorists we want to recruit...

What a great start to Bike Commute Week 'eh?

Keep your eyes peeled for one more pissed off Jeep driver in Irvine who hates us ALL… We can thank BCI for confirming his poor opinion of us ALL. I am sure when he gets one of us alone…

expired
Newbie (But HAS Posted something!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember when I rode with BCI, another reason I believe is the "no warm up, 20 mph out the gate" group starts. If the "Blue" would just start out with an easy pace for a few miles and later decide to "drop" the slower riders, the sense of urgency and bad habits would become less once everybody knows they don't "have" to hold on from the start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> News & General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: