The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index The Bicycle Club of Irvine
Welcome to BCI's Forum. If you'd like to join the forum, please send an e-mail to info@bikeirvine.org. password help

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandy Julienne - Sept 15th 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Ride of Silence
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCI
Bike Club Info

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Sandy Julienne - Sept 15th 2007 Reply with quote

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1846313.php

Quote:
Sunday, September 16, 2007
Bicyclist killed in Irvine identified
A bicyclist was killed Saturday when he was struck by an 18-wheeler in Irvine, police said.
By SAM MILLER
The Orange County Register

A bicyclist struck and killed in Irvine Saturday has been identified as Sandy Julienne, 47, of Huntington Beach.

Just after 10 a.m. Saturday, Julienne was struck by an 18-wheeler hauling dirt on the northbound side of Culver Drive north of University Drive, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police were still investigating the scene Saturday afternoon.

The driver of the truck was interviewed, but "it's too early to say what might have happened," said Irvine Police Lt. Rick Handfield.

Contact the writer: (949) 454-7394 or sammiller@ocregister.com

OC Register on-line allows readers to comment;
Reader's comments...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My heart goes out to the family. I work with Sandy's brother and we are all sadden with this loss. Sandy is still riding around in all your hearts. Memories are the best thing to have. Cherish what you have left and keep the memories going.

Kim - Sep 20, 2007 08:12:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have known Sandy for several years and can say without reservation he was a special person. He had a passion for everthing he did in life and had many friends. He was soft spoken and always positive in nature. Whenever I would see him on Saturday morning rides he would always greet me with a freindly and warm smile. He will always remain a legend of men in my mind. I remember first meeting Sandy about thirty years ago. He would ride his fixed gear bicycle everywhere and did it fast, efficient, safe and in a professional manner. Sandy will truly be missed by everyone who knew this gentle spirit. He died while he was cycling which was doing one of the things he loved most in life. You will truly be missed my friend, go in peace. Warm regards, Chuck LePore

Charles LePore - Sep 18, 2007 09:04:11 PM
An amazing man by far. He is truly missed. There is not one day that will go by that he will not be remembered. An inspiration to all and a light in the darkness he showed each and every person that life is to short to stress on material things but should be grassped through nature with open arms. We know he is eternally riding and with no cares. I miss you Sandy and place my prayers with your family and friends. Keep watching out for us down here and know that we are all thinking of you. I love you. Thank you for being an amazing man.

Liz Laky - Sep 18, 2007 07:49:38 PM
Re Cisco by implying that the car in front of the truck was blocking him in you make it seem like the truck driver was trying to flee and I can tell you that is not the case. I happen to know him and believe this or not but this man feels so bad for what has happened and and not for him self but for the loss of Mr. Julienne, and Mr Julienne's family an loved ones. This was an accident the driver of the truck is not a wreckless driver, he is a caring man who would do anything for anyone and he to will have this in his thoughts the rest of his life. He also has a family and this will also be with them the rest of there lives. Not every driver who is in an accident sets out for that to happen. So please you shouldn't say something about what the truck driver was doing when you drove by since you have no way of knowing what was going on.

Sharon - Sep 18, 2007 01:19:02 PM
Our Family would like to invite you to attend the services in honor of Sandy Nelson Julienne which will be held on Thursday, September 20, 2007, 10am, United Methodist Church of Garden Grove, 12741 Main St., Garden Grove, 92840. After the interment, there we will be a celebration of Sandy’s life at the Fellowship Hall, United Methodist Church of Garden Grove. All cyclists feel free to come on your bikes and wear your jerseys. This is how Sandy would have liked it. Donations to help with the arrangements can be sent to the Sandy Julienne Memorial Fund at 12042 Blackmer St., Garden Grove, CA, 92845

family - Sep 18, 2007 11:19:36 AM
I am about to hit the hay, but wish to add a few more things. 1st it is refreshing to find a discussion of a cycling incident, here, where it appears comments worth reading have not been deleted by those who disagree. The thread, as of this writing, made for informative, and at times very moving, reading, and though we still have little inkling of what happened out there, I came away with a great appreciation of the victim, and an understanding of the lay of the land where the incident occurred.

Kiril The Cycling Dude - Sep 18, 2007 01:06:54 AM
Hanna says we need to treat drivers harshly, and that will make them pay attention to us as co-users of the road. Is she willing to be just as harsh with irresponsible fellow cyclists using our streets, and trails? Motorists need to be better educated about us cyclists, and cyclists need to be better educated so they will become confident, safe, co-users of the street. It is as simple as that, and no amount of finger pointing, including THAT finger, by eiter side, will change that.

Kiril The Cycling Dude - Sep 18, 2007 12:55:56 AM
About the comment of Jim93. Yes, there are reckless cyclists on our Multi use Trails, but as a study I did of the Back Bay illustrated, last fall, walkers suc as A lady walking a stroller, and a huge dog on a leash, and joggers running in the wrong lane, could be just as reckless as cyclists who were too numerous to list, thus making it clear that we all need to work on keeping our shared experience a safe one for all, not tar and feather a whole segment of users due to the actions of the few. Responsible cyclists, fast, or slow, belong on the Multi-use Trails, but must use them responsibly like everyone else.

Kiril The Cycling Dude - Sep 18, 2007 12:41:58 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George's comment is troubling on several levels. It is troubling that the cops in Irvine are not on the same page about cycling on the sidewalk. The cop on the street was right to discourge his riding on the sidewalk as it is the least safe place to ride a bike, and since many cities DO have laws on the books forbidding it, it is best not to get into the habit in the 1st place. George, do not be afraid of riding on the street! Learn the ways of being a safe cyclist, such as making left turns, hand signals, and taking the lane safely when you need to, and which is your right. The resources available online from which to learn, are many, and sorely underutilized by all of us, including me, for that matter.

Kiril The Cycling Dude - Sep 18, 2007 12:30:15 AM
What a tragedy! My Condolences to the family. What is it about riding and driving, in the OC, that has led to the rash of incident in the past year and a half? RE what Cisco wrote, As readers of my BikeBlog know I advocate the wearing of a helmet, but I am not so naive as to think that wearing one is always going to be a life saver, and in this case if one was worn it obviously didn't matter. I do not know if you will even see this, but let me stress that you, and your son, should not let what you saw deter you from taking up cycling! Cycling requires a lot of a cyclist so that he or she can get the most out of the pastime. While knowing how to ride safely on the street, or on multi-use trails, is important we rely on motorists, and other users of the Trail, to be just as safe, and sometimes, even then, accidents happen, despite our best efforts. The street remains an appropriate, and safe, place to ride, and we have the legal right to be there, never forget that.

Kiril The Cycling Dude - Sep 18, 2007 12:18:41 AM
Funeral time and date for Sandy Julienne please pass this info along. Wed 19th, viewing at Shannon and Bryant 3pm to 8pm. 137 Maple ave. Orange, CA 714-771-1000. Thurs 20, at 10am, funeral at United Methodist Church. 12741 Main St. Garden Grove, CA 92840. Thurs 20, Burial at Fairhaven Memorial Park. 1702 Fairhaven Ave, Santa Ana, CA 92705. Afterwards join us for a funeral reception at United Methodis Church. 12741 Main St. Garden Grove, CA 92840. On behalf of the Julienne faily we want to thank everyone for your kind words. It is especially comforting to know how close this cycling community is and talking to some of his fellow cyclist has really touched us. God Bless you all. Pete Julienne

Pete Julienne - Sep 17, 2007 09:49:42 PM
Oh Sandy, you are missed so much, already. I still keep waiting for you to walk around a corner, at work. What a great, great man! May your goodness and beautiful soul be an inspiration to others and, may you live on through all those who have been blessed to cross paths with you, myself included! My thoughts are with your family and friends, in this difficult time. I think of you and smile.

Charlene Rasband - Sep 17, 2007 06:25:00 PM
As one of Sandy's patients, I can only say that I knew him as a truly gentle man--a healer really, and an amazing massage therapist. He spoke to me just last week that he had truly found his calling in massage and enjoyed so much coming to work everyday and helping people feel better. Sandy had the most amazing hands! They were always warm and he knew just where to go to make the knots and tensions vanish. He was usually pretty quiet, but he always had a smile for me and made me feel so much better than when I came in. Sandy I will miss you seeing you at therapy and my heart goes out to your loved ones and all the folks you work so closely with. Rachel

Rachel - Sep 17, 2007 04:44:34 PM
I moved out of OC but saw this online. I haven't seen him in awhile, but know he died doing what he loved-always on the bike. I regret I can't be there in person to say bye, but we'll all be together someday. RIP, Bro.

Trit - Sep 17, 2007 04:13:42 PM
I was driving north on Culver with my son and we saw 3 cars parked with hazard lights on. There was a space in between the cars and we saw the injured cyclist, it was very graphic accident scene. His head was against the edge of the concrete curb. My son and I were in shock. We later saw the truck at the intersection of Michelson and Culver with one other rider talking with the driver and one other person whose car was infront of the truck, as if to prevent him from leaving, also speaking with the driver. A minute later we saw a police car and then an ambulance come in. We already knew the rider was beyond help. According to the brief police report, it looks like the truck driver was interviewed and released. From the location where the truck had stopped, it looked like the truck driver was not even aware that his truck had struck the rider. Also, i recalled seeing the rider's bare head and later wondered if he had a helmet on or if it simply flew off from the impact. This accident was a shock for me to see because I just started riding a road bike. I also been trying to get my son to ride a road bike. My condolences to the people that knew this rider. - Cisco

Cisco - Sep 17, 2007 04:13:07 PM
There is so much you can say at a time like this but unfortunately your words will surely fall short when attempting to describe how heavy your heart is. Uncle Sandy, although I saw you maybe a hand full of times I'd always walk away smiling knowing there were people in the world like you. Your smile was undeniable, and your spirit was unmatched. You will be remembered and honored for every single life you touched. May the wind carry you to a better place.

Candice Chanley - Sep 17, 2007 04:05:41 PM
Sandman, that's what I called him at work. Although he should have been called Superman beacause of his love passion, and commitment to his life, profession, and riding. Sandy was a positive influence on everyone he encountered. He always put others first and gave a 110 percent be it treating patients, folding laundry, or riding 150 miles on a Saturday. He lived by the motto Life is Good - now I realize what that truly means. It was a honor to have known Sandy and be a part of his life. My condolences to Sandy's family! You will be missed.

Patrick Le - Sep 17, 2007 03:36:00 PM
I am a friend and fellow coworker of Sandys at Laguna Spine and Sports where Sandy works as a Massage Therapist. I will remember Sandy as the hardest working man I know. He came in to work each day with a smile on his face and a warm greeting of Good Morning Everyone, even after his 22 mile bike ride to work. I will always think of Sandys dry humor and quick wit. He chose to let go of many of the tangible possessions, such as a car in favor of a bicycle shortly after his parents passed away due to health reasons 25 years ago. In his words, I chose health over wealth. He has been an inspiration to us all and will be dearly missed. Saddle up, ride strong, and catch that tailwind Sandy.

John Brouwers - Sep 17, 2007 03:34:03 PM
I remember Sandy as a student here at Pacific College. What a happy and motivated guy! He was truly an asset to our college. He rode his bike everyday to school. There was no doubt in my mind that he was an excellent cyclist. My condolences to his family and friends in their great loss.

Patti Long - Sep 17, 2007 03:30:18 PM
I would like to say a few words on behalf of the students and staff members of Pacific College. Sandy graduated Pacific College in July 02' He was a wonderful student, person, and friend of all those who knew him here. We are very proud of what he represented as a graduate of our college and are saddened of hear of this great loss. Our prayers and well wishes to his family and friends.

Betty - Sep 17, 2007 02:17:16
I had the pleasure of working with Sandy at two different offices. He had such a love for life. I remember every Monday he would walk in and tell me "Happy Monday Kerry". I would look at him and tell him Monday is never a happy day. He told me that every day was a happy day. I would just look at him like he was crazy and laugh. That is just how Sandy lived his life. Every day was a happy day for him. He would always ask me how I was doing. I talk about my 3 kids alot and he would always remember my stories and was interested in how they were doing. He never acted like he wasn't interested in what I had to say. He always made me feel like I was important. That is such a rare quality to find in another person. I use to say he was like a big muscle from all that bike riding he did but he was more then that he is the best example of what a human being should be.

Kerry - Sep 17, 2007 01:47:18 PM
I happen to have been a patient of Sandy's and he was truly an inspiration to all. He just had a peaceful aura about him. My thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, co-workers and patients. Sandy, I didn't know you well but you certainly left an imprint on my heart and I will miss you. God bless you as he has each of our lives by knowing you.

Laurie - Sep 17, 2007 01:15:29 PM
So sorry to the family and friends of Sandy. It could have so easily been any of us. Everyone, please when you get home today hug your family and tell them you love them. Life is so precious and can be taken away in the blink of an eye. In an effort to do my little part to save gas consumption and lighten the load on polluting our air, also a great way to get some exercise I have been riding my bike to and from Turtle Rock and the airport M-F for about 9 months. I started in the bike lane as I ride at low speeds on a beach cruiser. My bike has wider handle-bars than a racing type bike and unless I am scraping the curb there is no room for me and a car in the right lane. They have to move over slightly to the left to not hit me. If there is traffic to their left and they cannot move over forget about it. I then moved to the sidewalk and sure enough within a week I was pulled over by the Irvine Police at the corner of eastbound Michelson and Culver, there is no bike lane anyway coming up to the intersection, and told it was illegal to ride my bike on the sidewalk. I called the PD and they said there is no such restriction. If you have a chance stick to the sidewalk and go slow and careful. Please, all motorists, be extremely watchful for all bikes and pedestrians, slow down in our community. We have no chance against cars and trucks. Please, no more tradgedies in Irvine.

George - Sep 17, 2007 12:21:48 PM
We are just hearing about his accident we miss him at work today. He was just a wonderful person, so kind and caring and he worked so hard to make his patients feel better. He never had an unkind word to say about anyone. We missed hearing "Happy Monday" his traditional greeting to begin the week. His smile was contagious, he's so inspirational. He made me want to be a better person. He was a constant reminder of what it really means to be kind to your neighbor and love your fellow man. He worked so hard, and never once complained about anything. He just loved life, and he loved helping others. It is hard to put into words how much we miss you Sandy. Much love to you Sandy- we have Mozart playing in your room this morning. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Sandy Forsyth - Sep 17, 2007 11:12:49 AM
Last week a pedestrian gets killed by a reckless cyclist on the bike path paralleling this stretch of Culver. Now an innocent and law abiding cyclist gets taken while trying to do the right thing, leaving the multi-use path to pedestrians and slow moving cyclists. Unfortunately it never seems to be the reckless cyclists among us who have to pay this horrible toll.

Jim93 - Sep 17, 2007 10:40:08 AM
Sandy was a gentle giant. A loner who loved riding. We were teammates back in the Late eighties. Yesterday I made 2 visits at the scene to try and make sense of this and with the hope of connecting with Sandy's family and friends who might show up too. At the scene I observed a straight section of uphill road on Culver, north of University, with a clean, striped bike lane. I observed the fresh paint marks made by the detectives. They enumerated 62 locations of the "debris scatter". Of the 62 scatter points, all but two are located inside the bike lane. On Sunday, fellow cyclists, John Geyer arrived to find a group of Sandy's friends/family. Sandy's girlfriend is absolutely heart broken. They all had a moment with John and stated they wanted to extend there love to the current peleton. John told me they were perhaps the sweetest folks he has ever met. I am glad we've made a connection. This makes some sense of Sandy's Life in an otherwise tragic loss. Throttle on Sandy. You were free. Throttle forever. You are a Peaceful Warrior with wings. Love.

David Worthington - Sep 17, 2007 10:25:09 AM
My wife and I were one of 3 cars and 3 bicyclists who stopped after seeing Sandy. Unfortunately, as the first to arrive, we quickly realized that there was nothing we could do but call 911. Sandy's family should feel some comfort in the fact that he probably died on impact and did not suffer. Our sincerest condolences to family and friends.

Craig - Sep 16, 2007 03:33:41 PM
Sandy was a legend to most of us old time OC cyclists. I can remember for years chasing the guy up or down PCH on his fixed gear bike. Catch him at a red light and exchange a few pleasantries, and then the light would change and he'd be off. Just this year, Sandy started to join our long time Saturday training ride. Got to know him a little and can only say he was a great guy, an ambassador for all cyclists, and a genuine "good guy" to all. We will all miss our weekly visits with Sandy. My deepest regrets to his family and other friends. He will definitely be missed. Godspeed my friend.

Rob Bowman - Sep 16, 2007 03:17:28 PM
I also drove by the accident not long after it happened. I was shocked and have be praying for Sandy's family and friends since. It has been a blessing to read about his life and learn what an impact he has made on others. Are there any plans for a funeral or memorial service?

Anne - Sep 16, 2007 03:03:03 PM
Yes, the bike lane at that intersection may be narrow. However I am still having nightmares of the couple that was struck in Mission Viejo last year. The lanes, on Olympiad Rd., are wide and the time was Sunday afternoon. The driver, apparently, leaned to open his glove compartment, or something. The Register never followed up on the story. One cyclist - David Pullen - was killed, and his wife was wounded. That couple could have been us! Until we treat drivers harshly, until we emphasize that bike lanes and crossroads demand special attention from drivers, to slow down and to look both ways, cyclists will be killed. We always cross at the light, on the crosswalk so that drivers will see us, but there is always someone making a right turn on red, or a left turn on green who just ignore us.

Hanna - Sep 16, 2007 01:31:03 PM
I rode with Sandy and other fellow cyclists every Saturday, including this Saturday just prior to his death. Although I was not well acquainted with him personally I always saw him to be a very strong, safe and courteous cyclist. This is a huge tragedy for the entire cycling community and especially for anyone that knew Sandy. He will be missed.

John Geyer - Sep 16, 2007 12:44:08 PM
Uncle Sandy, Is not only my Uncle, but my best friend. I want you to know the Uncle Sandy I love, He is an amazing person with a heart as large as his legs, it would be rare to see him without his bike and even rarer to see him when you wanted to, he was and will still remain a free spirit. I have so much more to say and will do so when I can, I will miss him so much and I know that anyone that knows him will feel the same great loss. Uncle Sandy, I Love You Uncle! This sucks man. A day will not go by without you in my thoughts. I miss you buddy, big time. Go easy

Derek - Sep 16, 2007 12:33:44 PM
This incident is very sad. I do not know the details of what happened. But the suggested solution of riding against traffic in the bike lane has been shown to be the actual number one killer of bicyclists. Yes it appears safer if you can see the vechicles coming toward you. But accident statistics show that overtaking accidents are rare. Most bicycle accidents actually occur at intersections. Riding your bike the wrong way through an intersection is accident waiting to happen. Right turning cars do not look for vehicles travelling the wrong way down the street. They look to their left waiting for a gap in traffic and do not see bicyclists coming from the right. They do not expect it and it is illegal. Data from Caltrans indicates that over 50 percent of bicyle car accidents involve wrong way travel through intersections. BTW I speak as one of the founding planners of the Irvine Bicycle Trail System. I am very proud of the success of the network.

Lyndon - Sep 16, 2007 12:14:04 PM
I would like to say a few things about Sandy Julienne. To me he is "Uncle Sandy" and he has been a guiding force throughout my life. When Uncle Sandy would show up there would always be a smile, if it wasn’t yours it would be someones in the room. His positive personality was to say the least contagious and along with the joy he would introduce, his uncanny humor could always put the room at ease

Christopher Chanley - Sep 16, 2007 12:10:38 PM
It's not a good idea to ride against traffic. You are more likely to get hit because right turning drivers don't expect to see cyclists coming from that direction. Also, when you encounter another cyclist who's going in the right direction, one of you is going to be forced into traffic. If you're concerned about having your back to traffic, which is understandable, get one of those small helmet mirrors.

Rye - Sep 16, 2007 11:53:11 AM
I don't ride a bicycle anymore, but agree with Nick about not wanting to have my back against traffic. I want to be able to see who's coming at me.

john - Sep 16, 2007 10:48:40 AM
To all witnesses and everyone that assisted at the accident scene - on behalf of my family we are truly grateful for everything you did for my cousin at the scene. It gives us great comfort knowing he was surrounded by such caring people.

Pete Julienne - Sep 16, 2007 09:11:52 AM
I knew Sandy very well. The man was an Ace Cyclist for over twenty years and knew every roadway of the county, doing very long rides. I am stunned, this could be myself or any top rider. I gotta know what happened

Lee - Sep 16, 2007 08:42:48 AM
I was at the stop light of Culver and Michelson, traveling south, just after 10 am Saturday. I noticed as the traffic light turned green, an 18 wheeler was proceeding through the Michelson intersection with a bike rider flagging down the truck, with cell phone in hand, making gestures and yelling into to it. I presumed that the truck may have just hit this cyclist. Proceeding south on Culver, I, too, witnessed the cyclist who had just been struck, and who lay in the narrow bike lane. As other readers have posted, there is simply no room for cyclists and 18 wheelers on this street as well as others in Irvine. Given that it appeared that the cyclist with cellphone at Culver and Michelson was attempting to flag down the 18 wheeler, and given the fairly long distance the 18 wheeler had travelled from where the cyclist was killed, why was this. Are 18 wheelers permitted to travel on Culver, especially on weekends when the streets are filled with cyclists. This tragedy to Julienne only reaffirms why we do not allow our kids to ride the bike lanes, but only bike trails or sidewalks.

scott - Sep 16, 2007 07:07:15 AM
Drivers do need to be more aware of the cyclist, but it's crucial for the cyclist to be aware of what's going on around him. I ride my bike several times a week, and there's been an incident almost every day where I'd have been hurt or killed if I hadn't been paying attention to the drivers who weren't paying attention to me. I choose the safest route to ride, I make myself clearly visible with bright clothes, if I'm riding at night, I have this dorky flashing light that I stick on my back. Of course, none of that will necessarily protect me from a drunk driver or some speeding idiot on a cell phone, but I am a lot less likely to get hit.

to Hanna - Sep 16, 2007 06:44:11 AM
This is why I would never ride a bike in Irvine. Too many cars, too many inattentive drivers, very high speed limits. Unfortunately, these incidents seem to be reported every few weeks in the news here in Irvine nowadays.

Rob - Sep 15, 2007 11:47:09 PM
I passed the accident scene this morning just after it happend. No police or ambulances on scene yet, about five cars were pulled over to assist. I have been checking OCRegister all day to find the the outcome of the accident. My condolences to all family and friends Sandy Julienne left behind. The area of Culver where the accident occurred is very hazardous for bicyclists. The bicycle lane is very narrow and vehicle traffic moves very swiftly.

PasserBy - Sep 15, 2007 11:09:05 PM
If the cyclist was on a bike lane, the driver should be arrested on the spot. Pedestrians and cyclists can not win against massive bulk of steel, but too often cars move to the bike lane to make a turn and don't even bother to watch for pedestrians or cyclists on a crosswalk or on a bike lane.

Hanna - Sep 15, 2007 10:25:52 PM

Last edited by BCI on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
BCI
Bike Club Info

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: More Info on Tuesday; OCBC questions IPD Reply with quote

http://www.ocregister.com/news/julienne-life-riding-1848029-cycling-bike

Quote:
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Man died doing what he loved most
A truck clipped Sandy Julienne's handlebars as he rode on Irvine street.
By ERIKA CHAVEZ
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

IRVINE Sandy Julienne's loved ones have an easy time naming his passions: cycling, cycling and cycling.

The Huntington Beach man died Saturday doing what he loved most, when he was hit by an 18-wheeler while riding in Irvine. Julienne was such a dedicated cyclist that he rode more than 20 miles to work every day and never drove a car, despite living in Southern California for more than 40 years.

An enigmatic loner for much of his life, Julienne lived a Spartan existence and never had much in the way of material possessions, say friends and family. Still, he managed to live a richer life than most.

"He lived his life stress-free and he was always grateful for what he had," said friend Annie Baker. "Every day of his life he accomplished what most people strive for."

Julienne, 47, was riding his bike on the northbound side of Culver Drive north of University Drive when he was hit by an 18-wheeler just after 10 a.m. on Saturday. He was riding home alone after completing the weekly "Food Park" ride, in which about 100 cyclists complete a 30-mile training ride in two hours.

Julienne donned a yellow jersey that day, usually reserved for the best of the best, said fellow rider Roger Worthington. But he lived up to the flashy wardrobe, leading the pack with powerful legs honed through years of rigorous cycling. He was such a strong rider that he cracked several bike frames over the years, said Sean Flynn, owner of Surf City Cyclery in Huntington Beach.

"His throttle was down and his spirits were up, flying through space and time," said David Worthington, who was also part of the peloton that day.

Witnesses say Julienne was riding in the bicycle lane when the big rig's rear tire clipped the bike's handlebars. Fellow cyclists chased the 18-wheeler and detained the driver, who seemed unaware that he had hit Julienne, said David Worthington. The driver was questioned by Irvine police and released; an investigation is ongoing, said Lt. Rick Handfield.

Born in Holland to Indonesian war refugees, Julienne and his family immigrated to Garden Grove in 1960, sponsored by the Methodist Church. Sandy was a scrawny kid who battled a skin disease that caused his hair to fall out, said older sister Cynthia Decicco of Aliso Viejo.

"I always protected him," she said, "and he turned out to be the strongest one in the family."

As an adult he did odd jobs and was a prototypical beach bum, preferring long bike rides to being cooped up behind a desk, said brother Glen Julienne.

Julienne found his calling as a massage therapist. He attended Pacific College and worked at Laguna Spine and Sport in Laguna Woods. Patients relished his strong hands and sunny demeanor, while colleagues were inspired by his Zen-like approach to life.

"Happy Monday!" was his trademark, along with an ever-changing array of colorful socks, usually festooned with smiley faces.

"He looked like a 30-year-old man, he has muscles like you wouldn't believe," said co-worker Sandra Forsyth, who also attended college with him. "He was young, full of life, and beautiful. He just made you want to be at work, and we loved him so much."

The shy and laconic Julienne also found love later in life. His nephew Derrick Walter introduced him to Susan Byrne, and they lived together for the last several years, sharing a home with his beloved cats.

A seasoned road warrior who considered a trip from Huntington Beach to Santa Monica "a quick ride," Julienne was aware of the dangers inherent to bike riding and always wore a helmet. Brother Glen remembers picking him up from hospitals after minor accidents, and Sandy told a sister that he wanted to be buried in his cycling gear should something ever happen to him.

Julienne practiced meditation, and his loved ones found comfort in a scrap of paper they found on his desk. It was a page torn out of a magazine with a quote from the Dalai Lama: "Well, there might be an afterlife and there might not be. So when I meditate, I put myself in that afterlife right now so that if I ever have to die, I won't even notice it."

Contact the writer: 949-553-2914 or echavez@ocregister.com

Quote:
About Erika Chavez's Tuesday, September 18, 2007 Register article entitled: "Man died doing what he loved most: A truck clipped Sandy Julienne's handlebars as he rode on Irvine street."

The article merely said, "The driver was questioned by Irvine police and released; an investigation is ongoing, said Lt. Rick Handfield."

Lt. Handfield, reached at his office, said that the investigation is expected to be complete in a week or more, and that he would notify me of the results, and of the city's plans regarding prosecution of the driver. Any prosecution would be by the County DA's office.

Don Harvey, JD, PhD
Executive Director
Orange County Bicycle Coalition
(949) 759-0219
harveydonw@juno.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Ride of Silence All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: