The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index The Bicycle Club of Irvine
Welcome to BCI's Forum. If you'd like to join the forum, please send an e-mail to info@bikeirvine.org. password help

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wayne Broadhag-accident

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Ride of Silence
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Gallegos
Newbie (But HAS Posted something!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Wayne Broadhag-accident Reply with quote

Is anyone interested in chipping in and covering the cost to get Wayne's Merlin repaired??? Since he's gonna be laid up for a bit, the least we could do his have his ride sitting in the same room for him to look at. Let me know...thanks, Edward.
Bill Sellin
Short Rider (>15 Posts!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Friday the 13th ~ Running Over of Wayne Broadhag Reply with quote

I would hope the driver is insured or wil be eventually held responsible for buying Wayne a brand new Merlin!

For those of you who did not get the details of the running over:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~n.
Nancy Broadhag ask that BCI pass this information on to our members.

As many of you have probably already heard, Wayne was hit by a car on his bicycle January 13th by Deerfield park. Before I go on with the details, he is home and , other than being sore and uncomfortable, he is okay -- which we all know is a miracle in these situations! Thank goodness for pain killers!!!! He does have four broken bones in his right lower back, but the good news is, they are not involved with the function of his spine. There is nothing to be done with the bones other than wait out the healing process.
The doctor says it will be four to six weeks before he's back on his bike,
but we'll all see . . . right!

It was probably about 8:40 a.m. when I was just ready to leave for a new
Tai Chi class that the phone rang. It was Barb Tomita (OCW) telling me
that Wayne had been hit and they were waiting for the paramedics. She
assured me he was talking and handed Wayne the phone to make sure I was settled (sure) before I drove over to Deerfield. As I arrived, the
ambulance was just ready to pull away, however, the drivers were very nice and waited for me to follow them to the hospital. In the meantime, I asked Ken Fry if he would take care of Wayne's bike and I headed on to the hospital.

As far as I know right now, no one actually saw the accident -- people
just heard it and then turned to see it happening. Wayne said it sounded
like two cars collided, it was that loud. It all happened before the Friday
ride began. Anyway, Wayne was coasting east on Deerwood West along the parked cars getting ready to stop to say hello to some riders when a car came up behind him and ran right into him. It sent him flying into the air and sent his bike flying also. His flying bike then hit Fred Guttentag
(OCW) who stepped out from behind his car to see what the ruckus was and it threw him to the curb. Barb and Ken ended up taking him to the same hospital as Wayne, and I was able to get the story from him there. He had a cat-scan and fortunately everything looked okay, but poor guy ended up with three stitches in one side of his forehead. What a story that one is -- hit by a flying bike! Needless to say, he's a bit bruised and sore himself.
The story I've heard is the man who hit Wayne couldn't see out of his
windshield. He had turned out of a side street and was proceeding toward
Deerwood to head to Irvine Center Drive, but because his windshield was too dirty to see out of, he turned on his wipers and water to clean it and, in
addition, was driving into the sun, so, consequently, couldn't see where he
was going. Now, go figure. If you are driving a car and can't see where
you are going, wouldn't it dawn on you that maybe you had better stop???????
It's beyond me . . .

Okay, another big one you guys are wondering . . . the bike? On our way
home from the hospital, like 4ish, I stopped by Edge Cyclespsort so Hank can check out Wayne's Merlin. Already know his new Mavic Ksyrium SSCSL wheel is shot and it does look like the rear derailer is bent, but really need to have it assessed. My feeling on the subject -- the bike can be replaced, Wayne can't, it's that simple! Sure you'll hear the outcome when we know more.

Heartfelt thank you's go to Ken and Barb for their support and being at
the hospital (and the coffee!), Rick Butts for bringing Wayne's bike to the
hospital so he and Ken could put it in our Sequoia, and Henry Pilcher and
all of you who were their to help out at the scene. Thanks also for the
many phone calls and genuine offers of help.

We sincerely appreciate your love and concern.
Nancy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bicycle Club of Irvine Forum Index -> Ride of Silence All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: