Bike Club Info
Joined: 27 Nov 2002
|Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:34 pm Post subject: Jan 10 ~ City of Laguna Bike Route goes to City Council
|Attention BCI Members - the BAoSOC announces:
IMPORTANT CITY COUNCIL MEETING IN LAGUNA BEACH: Please reserve the evening of Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 6 PM to attend the Laguna Beach City Council meeting in Council Chambers at 505 Forest Ave, Laguna Beach. They will be considering the PTC Committeeâ€™s recommendation that development of our proposed route be added to the cityâ€™s future capital budget plans. THIS IS A CRITICAL MEETING; THE CITY COUNCIL NEEDS TO SEE BICYCLISTSâ€™ SUPPORT. Being effectively represented on January 10th not only helps get us a new north-south-north Class III route through Laguna Beach, it helps assure the City Council will pay attention to future cycling issues in Laguna Beach (e.g. road and mountain bike trail extensions in Aliso Creek area). As we get closer to the meeting date, the Councilâ€™s proposed agenda will be posted at http://www.lagunabeachcity.net under the â€œMeetings and Agendasâ€ link. If this agenda item is moved, it will most likely be at the next City Council Meeting on Tuesday, January 24, 2006. WEâ€™LL KEEP YOU INFORMED THROUGH EMAIL DISTRIBUTION if you let us know you are interested - mailto: info@BikeOC.org . Anyone wanting to work with the Advocacy Group to meet with Council members and/or help garner community support, please let us know by email or call Roger at 949-494-5249.
PRELIMINARY ADVOCACY PRIORITIES FOR 2006: The Advocacy Group met as usual on the first Monday of December and developed the following preliminary list of 2006 goals. These include continued work on existing intermediate and long term goals, and the addition of some short term and other mission-supporting goals. It should be noted that even though intermediate and long term goals may not happen for years, they still require periodic bursts of advocacy efforts â€“and ongoing monitoring- to keep them on track. Shorter term goals include quick mission-supporting letters or calls in response to situations (e.g. brush and debris on bikeways, new cycling projects or issues consistent with our mission, or requests for letters of support for projects outside our priority list for 2006).
* Development of proposed north-south-north Class III route through Laguna Beach
* Extension of Aliso Creek Bikeway to Coast Hwy
* Repair of Salt Creek Bikeway just inland of Coast Hwy
* Maintenance of Laguna Canyon Road Class III bike route during construction
* Improved safety for cyclists turning onto Old Laguna Canyon Road from 133, both now and when new Class II route is completed
* Class I and II bikeway access to and through The Great Park, linked with County bikeway network
* Class I bikeway development along inland train tracks to provide needed north-south-north bikeway through South County
* Other projects, as identified, to assure both recreational and commuter cyclists needs are met in South County (e.g. assuring new developments such as Dana Point Harbor restructuring project preserve and improve cyclistsâ€™ access)
MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD; GET INVOLVED: If any of these projects interest you, or if you have ideas for other advocacy priorities, GET INVOLVED! WE NEED YOUR HELP! Our Advocacy Group meeting is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, January 4, 2006 at 6 PM at Laguna Cyclery. Weâ€™ll mostly focus on our upcoming hearing scheduled for January 10, but will also review any input weâ€™ve received on the above priority list.
Bicycle Association of South Orange County